Um...I was going to enter the Drabble Contest...but decided not to. A good friend has entered and I'd rather cheer him on. :D I wrote this just for fun...to see if I could pull it off. Per usual...I failed. But you might get a chuckle out of it. 8D

Title: Conspicuous in Casual
Author: Me. (NO WAY!!1211231!!!@!@!)     [tdthemagicman]
Rating: PG
Genre: Humor/Romance
Characters: Scott, Adrian, cameo by Felix
Warnings: very mild language, possible boylove, cheesy sap

Disclaimer: Scott, Adrian, Felix, German Sausage High and the entire SFC universe belong to the beyond amazingly talented Tricycle. Used sort of with permission as she did start the contest. XD

Theme(s): #1 Casual with a little of #3 Hat thrown in for kicks.
Word count: 765 -- For me...that's a drabble. 8D;;;

Summary: Scott doesn't want Adrian to know he's watching.



Conspicuous in Casual

Damn him. The boy needs to get out of my head.

Why am I dressed like this? Why am I out here? It’s cold and raining and miserable and why is he so fascinating?

I don’t want anyone to see me. My usual dramatic flare marks me as plain as if I wore a sign screaming “HI. I’M SCOTTY SCHROEDER.” So…I’m here sitting in these bleachers, soaked to the bone in…dare I say it? Blue jeans?

Not only are they blue jeans…but they’re ratty and torn and stained with dirt and grass and bicycle grease. I do believe there are even paint flecks from some long ago household remodeling speckling the thighs.

To add insult to injury, I’m wearing an oversized Looney Tunes shirt, childhood sleepwear that should have been trashed years ago. It has holes. The characters are faded to nearly unrecognizable.

Old sneakers with chewed-off laces and the toe coming away from the uppers. Skechers to be precise.

The worst indignity of all is the plain sun-bleached black baseball cap crammed over my distinctive hair. The brim is misshapen and the Velcro in back doesn’t close all the way. I can’t possibly get any lower.

He’d better appreciate this. Except I never want him to know. What is wrong with me?

Gazing out at the soaked soccer field, I find him easily. Even covered with mud, hair plastered to his forehead, I know it’s him. His usual laid-back, secretive half-smile is nowhere to be seen as intensity flushes his cheeks and thins his lips.

He’s still gorgeous. The determination just adds another…dimension to it.

Casual has never been my thing. My clothes and hair define my quirky personality. It’s not about looking good, it’s about looking myself. Unique.

Street thug describes me right about now.

I’ve reduced myself to this just to come watch him play. So nobody will see me staring at the way his legs move or the way he worries his lower lip when driving for the goal. The way he flips his hair out of his eyes just before he makes a kick.

Damn him and his mystery.

Another outstanding goal. His teammates cheer and slap him on the back. Felix even takes the liberty of a smack on the rear, grinning maniacally. Everyone chuckles good-naturedly even though the look he gives Felix is completely devoid of humor. I’m not amused either.

When the whistle blows, signaling the end of the game, I jump in my seat, dropping the German Sausage High pennant I’ve been half-heartedly waving. I’ve been too busy watching him to pay attention to the game. Our team won…not that I’m surprised with him as captain.

All too soon the team is trudging past on their way to the locker room. He’s last in line and I can’t help watching as he unsuccessfully tries to push his dripping hair out of his face.

At that moment, he looks up and our eyes meet. Oh great.

He’s detouring. He’s coming this way. I try to slouch down in my seat but it’s useless now.

“Scotty?”

I nearly stutter. “Hey, Adrian.” He stands over me, head slightly cocked, completely at ease. His jersey clings to his torso like a second skin and his shorts are hanging dangerously low from the weight of rainwater and mud. How does he still manage to give off the impression he’s clean, dry, and should be on magazine covers?

“Nice shirt.”

I’m completely mortified but I’m not showing him that. “How did you know it was me?”

That half-smile creeps over his face. I can feel my face heating.

“Well…you do kind of stick out.” Jaw dropping, I look around slowly. Within seconds I realize he’s right. Everyone else is in their usual clothes, bright colors and flashy patches and not a pair of jeans in sight. My attempt at blending in only made me stick out more. How could I not notice that? Oh yeah…thinking about him.

“Hey…do you think I could borrow your hat?”

“What for?”

“It’s kind of a long walk to the showers. My hair is making it hard to see.”

“Oh…sure.” I hand over the hat, hoping desperately nobody looks at my revealed hair.

“Thanks, Scotty. I’ll return it when we’re back in the dorms.” The smile gets a little wider and he winks before turning and heading after his teammates.

Wait. A wink?

As I begin trudging toward the warmth of my dorm, grin stealing over my face, I decide that maybe casual isn’t so bad…but I think I’ll just show up normally for the next game.

-END